Below you will find a series of ongoing reports for a residential client in Edmonton, Alberta. The client requires a DuraDek roof skirt replacement. Parts of the flat roof are currently exposed to the elements, so we must examine all exposed areas for damage and ensure that the new installation ties in to the old. Continue reading Flat Roof Skirt Deck Installation, August 2015, Edmonton
Rooftop Balcony Leak Repair Edmonton - Below you will find a series of ongoing reports for a residential client in Edmonton, Alberta. The client requires leak maintenance where a PVC rooftop deck and a tar and gravel flat roof connect and flat roof recovery or replacement to the tar and gravel flat roof. Project manager notes have also been included. This single family home in Edmonton Alberta has a second story rooftop deck (a deck that is over a heated living space is considered a rooftop deck - it needs a membrane suitable for over heated living spaces such as a flat roof membrane). It issue is the homeowners recently purchased the home and came to realize the second story balcony was leaking in to the home causing significant damage. So they hired a deck company to replace the membrane on the deck, but the decking company could not re-connect the balcony membrane to the tar and gravel roof that runs around the house as a skirt. The home-owner asked us to inspect the tar and gravel flat roof skirt and the need for the rooftop deck membrane to be connected properly (the deck membrane that was recently installed is a PVC and the PVC will not of course bond to a tar and gravel roof so a break needs to be constructed and then both the PVC deck membrane and the tar and gravel roof need to be tied in correctly). They also asked us to inspect the tar and gravel flat roof on top of the house. Update (07-30-2015): More posts to come as the work continues at this site. Update (07-30-2015): Quotation added New Client Call, July 24 2015:
- Service: Roofing
- Type: Residential flat roof
- We have small issue with the roof section that joins up with the deck. There is water infiltration culminating in leaks.
- The flat roof skirt that wraps the house which connects to the vinyl deck needs an assessment for replacement options.
- Most recently, there was a water ingress as the previous decking contractor did not correctly set a temporary waterproof scenario where the deck meets the flat roof skirt. An infrared technologist was called in and said there is no considerable issues in the walls, but considering the flat roof skirt's age there may be an issue with rotting joists or sheathing.
- An inspection is required on the connection area between the vinyl deck and the flat roof skirt. Is there a suitable break between the two sections appropriate for us to roof in the skirt properly?
- Inspect the main flat roof above for any maintenance concerns and estimate the expected life-cycle for future replacement considerations.
- Ask the client for the manufacturer name of the vinyl used for the most recent roof/deck replacement. When a roof deck is installed over a heated living space, there needs to be a product that is intended not only for use as a deck membrane, but also as a rooftop (low slope) roof membrane.
- Tie-in new DuraDek material to tar and gravel roof on both ends
- Tie-in DuraDek material to tar and gravel roof and replace tar and gravel roof roundabout. Choose from EPDM, TPO, PVC, or 2-ply SBS torch-on
- Main flat roof on top is not leaking and does not require repair or maintenance at this time.