This commercial client in Edmonton was presented with a quotation for a flat roof replacement. The report follows the crew as they performed the replacement over the course of several months.
Scope of Work:
- Scrape gravel down to existing 4 ply membrane and take down to dispose.
- Supply and glue down a FR board (1/2 inch fiberboard adhered to a 95 gram sanded poly sheet) and seal all laps.
- Supply and back torch a 180 gram armour bound peal and stick up walls and all penetrations.
- Remove and replace any wet insulation.
- Owners to move and re-position satellite and communication systems.
- Clean all debris and haul away.
Roof Report, January 21, 2015:
We arrived on site at 2:10 pm and I got set up to continue with the cap stripping. At the same time we were waiting to see what was going to happen with the weather since it was still drizzling.
I went through the safety paperwork and then we helped with removing the garbage from the roof and brought it to the bin.
Roof Report, January 23, 2015:
After our toolbox meeting we proceeded to install FR board on the upper mechanical roof and did so until the point of satellites in all directions.
We then installed peel and stick stripping wherever possible and sopramastic waterproofing in all other protrusions.
Cleaned up and left site at 4:30pm.
Roof Report, February 12, 2015:
This morning after we were done with the safety reports, we went to the upper roof and continued with the base seal tie in. I had two other crew members remove snow from the entire upper roof while I started to install peel and stick on the curbs.
After I was done with the curbs on the north side of the roof, I installed patches over the plates and installed gussets were there were none. I also found several spots that needed patches in the field and repaired as required.
Roof Report, February 14, 2015:
Started to lay in FR board where they moved the satellite towers. Once we got the base done on one I had a crew member start capping it in while myself and another crew member started to base in the next section.
Both sections were capped by the end of the day which made the client happy. Then I stayed on site to complete fire watch.
Roof Report, February 19, 2013:
Once we got to the site we continued with the base tie in around the large curb and the parapet on the SW corner of the upper roof.
Roof Report, March 7, 2015:
Today we completed the field cap and most of the DE granulating around the details.
Roof Report, March 9, 2015:
Bill and me completed the cap stripping on the upper roof today and need to touch up the gum boxes and granules to finish the SBS on the upper roof. We then completed the curbs on the main roof and started to install the plumbing vents when it started to rain at 3 pm.
I am not happy with the large ponding area on the east side of the main roof and would like permission to extend the sump on the east side with a trough through the high spot so that more water drains. I would have to cut out the FR board from the sump about 1 ft. wide west about 10 ft. to where the water ponds 3 inches at the deepest point.
Then tie in the old roof to new torch on roof through the trough. This would require 10 man hours and another roll of cap which would add another 2 years to the life of the cap in that area.
Roof Report, March 10, 2015:
Today we installed 8 plumbing vents and touched up the existing plumbing vents with smag and granules. We completed the west drop drain install and reset the air units on the SW corner of the main roof. We then cleaned the entire main roof and downloaded all the garbage.
Roof Report, March 11, 2015:
This morning we completed the touch ups on the gum boxes of the upper roof and then started installing the metal around the perimeter of the upper roof and found that we were short one length.
On the far east side of the roof there looks to be another piece missing that would cover the electrical lines and 2-18 inch storm collars are gone as well. We installed all the metal that was there and added extra screws and smack pins to make them very solid.
Roof Report, March 12, 2015:
After the weekly meeting in the morning we met up at Home Depot for caulking and then went to the site. We spent extra time on resetting all the wire tracks on the upper roof and finished off the storm collars with caulking as well.
2 of the 18 inch stacks still have no storm collars but we filled them with caulking anyway. With no metal flashing on the wall detail on the upper roof, we made sure that water would not pond there by completely filling the riglet with caulking.
We downloaded the rest of the tools, rolls of base, and propane into the small trailer and parked it in the very NE corner of the parking lot. The bin is still on site and will need to be removed.
< End Report >
Call our 24 hour emergency roof repair at 1.780.424.7663. Mail to: 3428 99 Street NW Edmonton, Alberta T6E-5X5.
We service all of Alberta including Edmonton, Stony Plain, Spruce Grove, Fort Saskatchewan, St Albert, Sherwood Park, Leduc, Nisku, Beaumont, Lac La Biche, Grande Prairie, High Level, Westlock, Slave Lake, Edson, Drayton Valley, Devon, Camrose, Wetaskiwin, Tofield, Lamont, Morinville, Vegreville, Tofield, Millet, Calmar, Evansburg, Redwater, Onaway, Viking, Athabasca, High Prairie, Valleyview, Fairview, Peace River, Whitecourt, Mayerthorpe and many more rural areas and towns.