Article: Ice Dam Removal Edmonton.Below you will find a report from our Edmonton roofing repair crew responding to a call from a commercial client to remove ice damming and to weatherproof their metal roof eaves trough. Quotation, January 18 2011:
- Remove ice damn from eaves trough area on metal roof
- Apply EPDM Firestone Rubber to roof eave and around face to make area monolithic so no water/ice enters roof system in the future
- Remove ice dam from eaves trough area. The pricing does not include roof snow and ice removal, only trough. If removal of ice may damage the trough, stop work, notify the client, and we will have to discuss replacement options.
- After eaves are clean, the Senior Foreman will apply EPDM Firestone Rubber to the roof eave and around the face to make the area monolithic.
Below you will find a series of Roof Reports and photos from our roofing repair crew in Unity, Saskatchewan. The client asked us to perform some retrofitting and approved some assessments that were made on-site. Roof retrofitting and leak mitigation was provided.
Roof Report, August 24 2010:We opened one ventilation unit which was found to have traces of moisture. It was water-tested, which came back positive as a leak area. We also found areas that had open wire penetrations and gas lines going into the building. A cut-test was also performed, where 4-ply styrofoam insulation (5") and a vapour barrier was found. This might explain why water had to travel some distance before it appeared as a leak, since the rest of the roof is in good shape. Areas requiring maintenance were sealed with mash, mastic and additional caulking as required.
- Flat Roof Overlay / RetroFit Options
- EPDM (Black Roof – Recycled Tires)
- TPO or PVC (White Roof)
- Flat Roof Replacement Options
- TPO or PVC
- SBS Modified Bitumen (Torch On Rolls)
- Tar and Gravel (Traditional Built Up Roofing)
- Flat Roof Replacement Extras (over attached garaget)
- Perimeter Flashing (replace only as required)
- Custom Fabricated Eaves, Downs, and Scuppers (as required)
- Site Visit Done. Initial Assessment Completed. Photos on file (see Krain Consulting report).
- Options for roof replacement, roof overlay, repairs, and regular maintenance attached.
- Full roof replacement is not required except at garage portion where the installation crew will determine how much to take out when they open roofing system.
- An EPDM, TPO, or PVC roofing system overlay is a reasonable option for this roof.
- A roof overlay saves significant costs, provides environmental relief as old system does not end up in the waste, and all the roof overlay systems are very successful.
- The deciding factor when considering a roof overlay is whether the preference is a black roof (drawing the sun in) or a white roof (a cool roof for more efficient function).
- Repairs to existing roof is a consideration, but not recommended considering the number of failures.
- Roof Flashing.
- The existing roof flashing is in moderately good shape. It could be replaced but it is most definitely not required. We suggest keeping as much of the old flashing as possible.
- We suggest keeping as much of the old flashing in place as possible. When the new roofing system is retrofitted, the Senior Installation Manager would instruct the crew to save as much of the old flashing as possible (unless client decides to simply replace all flashings).
- The roof flashing invoicing (whether all new is ordered or the existing flashing is modified) would be a separate invoice. Our sheet metal / flashing crew is about two weeks behind our flat roof membrane applicators so we would bill the flashing separate of the roofing system.
- Eaves, Downs, and Scuppers.
- Crew to be instructed to slope roof in such a way that the flow of water moves toward the east and south.
- Custom fabricated architecturally designed eaves and gutters with external scuppers (drainage to gutter area) will be added to back of home and east side. Client and installation manager to determine where the downspouts will send water to on east side of property.
Scope of Work: Repairs to Existing BUR – Built Up Roof System.
- 7 areas of the roof have blistering that requires repair.
- 3 areas of the roof have ponding that requires repair.
- 2 units show water penetration to the interior.
Hi, Our report, that was copied to you, determined that there are a number of areas of concern that will cause leaks; 1. Areas such as the caulking on the heat stacks (you don't need to call anyone to replace heat stacks) - maintenance issue. 2. Ice damming glacier effect - again maintenance. The previous repairs are not the issue. You have a failed roof that is going to fail in a number of areas at any time, as with this report. When the roof fails the leaks will manifest on the inside at the lowest points, the same points as always because water finds the lowest point in that area and manifests. Did you want a work order to have repairs done? Thanks